Did someone say Road Trip? This cute VW Bug Handmade Card using the Driving By Stamp Set is sure to start your trip off right!
How cute is this card? There’s just something about a Volkswagon Bug that always makes me smile! Paired with that cute sentiment and the fun Layering Designs Vellum, this card came together so quickly!
Speaking of the Vellum, it can often be challenging to apply Vellum to your card without having the adhesive show through the vellum. Here are my 3 tips to save you that aggravation! 😄
- Use little dots of our Multipurpose Liquid Glue in random areas on the back of the Vellum. A little of this Glue goes a long way so you don’t need much. In the sample above, you can see that I placed small dots at map intersections where it won’t be noticed. (In person, you have to really look for these dots – they’re much easier to see in a large photo!)
- Only place adhesive in areas where it will be covered by something else. In this project, the majority of my adhesive was placed behind the focal car image. This also works if you plan to add larger embellishments like Rhinestones and Pearls.
- Cut your Vellum 1″ larger at the top & bottom of the cardstock you’re applying the vellum to, score at 1/2″ on each side, and fold to make a 1/2″ “tab”. Adhere the “tab” to the back of the cardstock and adhere to your cardstock – no adhesive on the front of your card at all! (I didn’t use this technique on this card.)
If you want to make this card but just don’t have time right now, make sure you save the free card Tutorial you can download below. Let’s dive into how this card was made…
- Basic White: 5 ½” x 8 ½” scored at 4 ¼” and 2” x 3”
- Granny Apple Green: 3-3/4” x 5-1/2”
- Vellum, Layering Designs: 3” x 5-1/2”
- Basic Black: 2-1/4” x 3-1/4”
1. Fold the 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” piece of Basic White cardstock in half at the score line. Burnish well with your Bone Folder to create a crisp fold.
2. Adhere the Granny Apple Green cardstock to the center of the base card.
3. Adhere the Vellum 1/2” down from the top of the Granny Apple Green cardstock. Use glue predominantly in the lower right corner where it will be hidden by the focal image.
4. Using the small piece of Basic White cardstock, stamp the car using Memento Black ink. Stamp the packages on the “roof” of the car using the same ink. Stamp the sentiment to the left of the packages using the same ink.
5. Color in the car using Granny Apple Green (car), Basic Black (tires) and Basic Gray (car bumpers & lightly on windows) Watercolor Pencils. Blend with a Blender Pen, cleaning between each color change.
6. Color in the packages using Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay and Pumpkin Pie Watercolor Pencils. Blend with a Blender Pen, cleaning between each color change.
7. Adhere the stamped White cardstock onto the Basic Black cardstock and adhere to base card.
8. Adhere 2 of the Basic Gray Classic Matte Dots in the center of each tire to finish.
Supplies Used on this Project
Like this project? Be sure to pin it so you can easily find it again. It will take you right back here to all the details of the card.
- Get a Free Tutorial Every Week!
- Shop 24/7 in your PJ’s
- Download the 2022 Spring Occasions Catalog
- Download the 2021-2022 Annual Catalog (large file!)
- Monthly Crafting Kit
- Queen Bee Rewards – Earn FREE Stamps!
Thanks so much for stopping by today! Be sure to give this card sketch idea a try and mail it to a friend who is celebrating something! It’s so fun to make a card but it’s even more fun to send! #makeacardsendacard