Enjoy easy cardmaking with Hippo and Friends Dies by Stampin’ Up! Have fun creating custom die-cut elements like frames, animals, and more.
One of the things I love about the Hippo & Friends Dies is that no only does it cut out all the images from the Hippo Happiness Stamp Set, it also has 3 sets of versatile frame dies! These dies help you create unique die-cut shapes and paper cut outs with just a quick run through your die-cutting and embossing machine. Detailed dies include ejection holes so you can remove the paper easily.
To create this card, I started with an usual color combination: Smoky Slate, Calypso Coral and Coastal Cabana. I wanted this card to be for any gender or age, and I felt these colors would be perfect to accomplish that.
This card also features White Craft ink, which I used to ink the flowers on the Smoky Slate mat. Whisper White craft ink is rich, permanent pigment ink that is great for embossing or for creating an opaque look on dark cardstock. You can also use it on wood, fabric, and other materials. Learn more about Stampin’ Up!’s White Craft ink here.
Supplies Used on this Project
- Basic White Cardstock: 5-½” x 8-½” (2)
- Smoky Slate Cardstock: 4” x 5-¼”
- Bermuda Bay Designer Paper: 2-½” x 4”
- Cut a piece of Basic White Cardstock to 5-1/2” x 8-1/2”, score at 4-1/4” and fold at score line to create your base card.
- Cut a piece of 4” x 5-1/4” Smoky Slate cardstock. Using the White Craft ink pad, stamp the flower randomly over the front of the Smoky Slate mat; set aside to dry. Tip: if this is the first time using this pad, you’ll need to use the White Ink Refill that comes with it to ink your pad. If you haven’t used it for awhile, you may also need to reink it. Start with a small amount of ink all over the pad and add more as needed.
- Cut a 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” piece of Basic White cardstock. Ink the Hippo with the “open nose” in Coastal Cabana ink and stamp onto the White cardstock. Ink up the hippo stamp that has the solid body using Coastal Cabana ink but tap off some of the ink on your scratch paper; stamp over the first hippo image you stamped. Add hippo face using Black Memento ink.
- Using the same cardstock as the hippo, stamp the “open face” Ewe using Calypso Coral ink and then stamp again without reinking. Ink the solid body Ewe with Calypso Coral ink and tap off some of the ink on scratch paper. Stamp onto the first Ewe you stamped, then stamp again without reinking on the 2nd Ewe. Add the Ewe face using Black Memento ink on both of the stamped Ewe’s. Using Coastal Cabana ink, stamp the bow.
- Run the White cardstock through the Cut & Emboss Machine to cut out the hippo, 2 Ewe’s and the hair bow. Set aside. Cut out 2 of the labels – the smallest one is 2-1/4” long and the largest is 3-1/4” long.
- On the small label, stamp the sentiment using Black Memento ink. On the large label adhere the hippo and 2 Ewe’s. Add the hair bow to one of the Ewe’s.
- Cut a 2-1/2” x 4” piece of Bermuda Bay Designer Paper from the Brights Designer Paper combo pack. Adhere to the stamped Smoky Slate cardstock. Tie a piece of the White Baker’s Twine from the Essentials Pack, tying into a bow towards the bottom. Adhere the Smoky Slate mat to the base card.
- Layer the large label above the Baker’s Twine bow on the base card using Stampin’ Dimensionals. For the small label, stack your Stampin’ Dimensionals so that there are 2 and adhere the small label to the left & below the large label so that it just overlaps. ‘
Like It? Pin It!
Be sure to pin this project to your card making boards on Pinterest if you like this project
- Get a Free Tutorial Every Week!
- Shop 24/7 in your PJ’s
- Queen Bee Rewards – Earn FREE Stamps!
- View the 2023-2024 Annual Catalog
- View the 2023 Winter Holiday Catalog
- View NEW Online Products
- Monthly Crafting Kit
Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out this papercrafting tutorial. I hope you are inspired to create and send cards. I love sharing how to make cards here on the BZBStamper blog and I can’t thank you enough for all of your support!