Use the Sponging Technique to create this quick & easy card featuring the “Friend Like You” stamp set.
This is such a fun stamp set to use – and it’s so easy to add lots of color and depth by using the Sponging Technique.
The Sponging Technique is super easy – you basically load up a Stamping Sponge with dye ink and sponge away! The more ink you add onto the paper, the easier it becomes to blend colors because the ink won’t dry as quickly.
Here are some tips:
- Once you load up your sponge, try tapping just a bit of it off on your scratch paper so that you don’t get a huge blob of ink when you start to sponge.
- I prefer to use small circles, starting off the cardstock (on my scratch sheet) and then gently moving over onto the cardstock.
- Don’t be afraid to blend colors, just start out gently.
- You can always add more ink but you can’t take it off. Be patient and gradually build up your colors. The more layers of ink you use, the more vibrant the colors will be!
- Whisper White Card Base: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″, scored & folded at 4-1/4″
- Bermuda Bay mat: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Soft Sea Foam mat: 3-1/4″ x 4-1/4″
- Whisper White mat: 3″ x 4″
- Soft Sea Foam Strip: 1″ x 4″
- Fold the Whisper White cardstock in half.
- Layer the Bermuda Bay mat onto the base card.
- Optional: Using your bone folder, run the Soft Sea Foam strip back & forth over the edge of the bone folder. This will break up the fibers of the cardstock and eventually you’ll be able to pull the cardstock apart so that you see the ‘inside’ of the cardstock. Layer one onto the card, with the “inside” part on the outside.
- TIP: before you start sponging, cut your sponge into 4 wedges so that you can have 1 sponge for each color. They cut easily with scissors.
- On the 3″ white mat, stamp the “waves” several times using Bermuda Bay ink. Sponge Bermuda Bay ink over the stamped image.
- Using a Sponge and Soft Suede ink, sponge up a bit from the waves to create a beach. Stamp the palm tree trunks in Soft Suede ink.
- Stamp the palm tree leaves using Soft Sea Foam ink.
- Rub most of the ink off your Bermuda Bay sponge until there’s hardly any ink left on the sponge and lightly sponge in the sky area. Stamp the dragonflies using Bermuda Bay ink.
- Layer the White mat onto the Soft Sea Foam mat and adhere to card.
- Using a scrap of Whisper White cardstock, stamp the sentiment using Bermuda Bay ink and punch out using the 1-1/2″ Circle Punch. Adhere to card using Dimensionals.
I hope you enjoyed this fun technique. If you’d like to learn more stamping techniques, why not attend one of my Technique Classes? You can view them all on my Events Calendar here.